Monday, January 18, 2010

Does anyone have wild animals visiting their house? I have 3 grey squirrels who pinch the birds' peanuts.?

In the back garden we get grey squirrels who swing upside down on the washing-line and feed out of the peanuts that are hanging in a wire cage for the birds.


As it goes dark our hedgehogs come out and they head straight for the nuts that have fallen on the ground and also eat up all the cat-food that I put out (NON-FISHY!)


I also have moles on the front lawn!


But the less said about them, the better!Does anyone have wild animals visiting their house? I have 3 grey squirrels who pinch the birds' peanuts.?
Ahh that's nice - and a nice post...


I see badgers and fox's mainly - and i haven't got a garden - the badgers pick up peanuts under my window - and i sometimes leave food out for the fox's. I live in a small town and at the bottom of the road there's a park and it leads to a river where there's a lot of trees - so a lot of wildlife come up to where i live looking for food. I also feed the birds - so many different kinds - i buy a bag of wild bird seed most weeks - bags of peanuts. I used to see squirrels around here but not lately. It's amazing the number of birds that come to my window sill to pick up food. Just love watching them - and try to stop my cat's from jumping up and frightening them away. Good to know your feeding them too.





Added: some lovely stories...


hope ur feeding that giraffe foizdoig! lol





Thanks for the advice Vincent - if i ever find any hedgehogs - no milk - and only meat cat food - not fish....Does anyone have wild animals visiting their house? I have 3 grey squirrels who pinch the birds' peanuts.?
Thanks Vincent - yours is one of the loveliest questions I've found here. I but fat-balls too %26amp; in the winter there's a Robin comes on the window sill, i like to think it's the same one. It's amazing how much wild-life i see in town considering i have no garden. Thanks T xxx

Report Abuse



I moved out to Canada a year ago and still I'm finding new animals and birds. If you do Yahoo 360, I have a blog about the black squirrels (they are sooooo funny!!! They chase each other along the fence and have play fights just like kittens). I've also got a groundhog that wanders in and wanders out without a care in the world (they are REALLY shy though. You've only got to blink and it scares them away). My favourite animals are the chipmunks. I don't know why, but I expected them to be enormous! But they're tiny - a bit bigger than a mouse and smaller than a rat. One of them was messing around at the back of our garage. It turned round and came right up to my feet (I was standing really still trying to get a photo of it). It saw my shoe, did a double take, looked up, saw me and jumped a mile in the air (I'm still laughing now!!). Poor little thing. I clicked JUST as it jumped and the photo's perfect! They're just so cute!





My neighbour says there's a skunk in the vicinity, but I haven't seen (or smelled) it yet!





I've also got Red Cardinals yelling at the top of their lungs - 'birdie, birdie, birdie'. They're gorgeous though. The robins here are about the size of a UK blackbird. They're whopping great things, not cute at all! AND (I'm REALLY bragging now) there's a pair of humming birds that visit next doors bird feeder. It's a special one for humming birds with a sweet nectar in it (I'm going to get one next year and see if I can get them to come to MY garden!!!).





Thanks for the question. I enjoyed answering it.Made me realise how lucky I am.
i have a couple of swifts nesting in the corner of my window where,s there a brick missing.


so cool to watch
once in a while we have a owl that preys in the area.
i have squirrels in my back garden and i have foxes that cut through my garden at night. i have only seen one hedgehog .i have lots of robins and at at dusk i see bats flying. i live in the city and it is great to see wildlife on my doorstep.
we must live in the same neighbourhood


I've also got a family of squirrels that eat everything in sight right NOW they are busy digging up bulbs that were planted and they are reburying them in the lawn we've had a few hedgehogs ,and also a grouse or a pheasant that was here earlier in the year we've got some good pictures of all the animals but no moles thank god ,saw a fox pass through a while back being chased from the air by the birds they were really hounding it think it was injured.Looking forward to seeing them all over the winter need to start stocking up on nuts i guess.
foxes,back and front garden,they even sit in the middle of the road in the morning hours and even drive up to them before they decide to move out the way....guess this is where they use to live before they built houses and roads hear.
My Neighbours Pigeons are Bent.
I'm not a big fan of tree rats myself, they steal my apples and dig up my plants. They can't get into my bird feeder so they find ways of knocking it to the ground and shaking the seed out. We had some baby hedgehogs last year, they are the cutest things.





Other ocassional visitors have been a small grass snake, a peacock, foxes, field mice, newts and frogs.
Deer (they usually show up around Thanksgiving), squirrels, opossums, raccoons, skunks, garter snakes, one California king snake, blue jays (they now eat out of my hand; one sits in the window box while I'm fixing breakfast and watches me until I go out and feed them), hummingbirds, herons (working hard to get the Koi out of my neighbor's fish pond), ravens (love anything shiny), wild turkeys, Canada geese, and ducks.





There were two badgers, but I had to have animal control trap and remove them because people were afraid of them. I didn't want someone to kill them.
Our previous home backed into a deep woods so we had everything visit in the wild animal department. I finally bought a very expensive bird feeder that squirrels and raccoons couldn't get into and that resolved that issue. We also had to replace our screened porch screens with animal proof ones so the raccoons wouldn't gnaw through and eat all my scented candles. You cannot leave any type of food outside. It just calls all the critters to your house. The raccoons even tried to run off with our grill utensils because they smelled of food. We had a small pond with goldfish, but the raccoons would just eat them so we stopped buying them. If you are in a wooded area, you have to make changes that don't allow the critters to invade your space. A lot of them carry rabies so it isn't safe for your family.
I have a skunk!!OMG!! It smells really bad!! I have to run around closing my windows every night as soon as I get a wiff of it I have to spring into action!! I have seen it and it's a big one!!
i;ve got a giraffe in my loft.

No comments:

Post a Comment