Monday, January 18, 2010

Why do most people on here hate grey squirrels?

servival of the fittest, I think they are lovely creatures, i have two prance around in my front lawn every morning, they are very intelligent, they come right up to me and take nuts from my hand, I like the way they jump from branch to branch and climb things any other animal would find difficult.Why do most people on here hate grey squirrels?
Its because they say the grey squirrels kill off the red ones and they are rodents.





I personally think both are lovely.Why do most people on here hate grey squirrels?
I know plenty of people who don't hate grey squirrels but from an ecological point of view the greys have been the main cause of decline of the native red squirrel since their introduction. Part of the reason is their adaptability in terms of their food sources, as well as their more aggressive nature. One their major impacts however is the introduction of Squirrelpox into the native red population - it's a viral disease that the greys are carriers of although it doesn't effect them. However, it does effect the reds so once the virus is passed on to a red squirrel it falls ill within 2 days and is dead within a week, it's an almost 100% death rate.





Point of note - Grey squirrels are legally classed as an invasive species, in the same way as American Mink and the (now removed) Coypu. This makes it illegal to release grey squirrels into the wild e.g. if, for example, you were to find an injured grey squirrel and took it in to rehabilitate it you would not be able to release it back into the wild as that would be illegal. (Best thing to do with an injured grey squirrel would just be to clout it over the head and finish it off).
My sister was mugged by two of the bastards., They're filth, just vermin. Survival of the fittest? They aren't even proper squirrels, they are just American rats with bushy tails!! They come over here, wipe us out and think they own the place. They take our nuts and kill our children. Gas them all now!





Yours sincerely,


Mr. Native British Red Squirrel.
You are a genuine animal lover and would'nt hurt a flea on a grey squirrel's back and I would like to be the same as you and encourage them to feed out of my hands. Unfortunately roads were built through their habitat and scared them away.
Because they are vermin - tree rats. They are killing off our native red squirrels and are breeding like crazy. OK they can look cute but don't go too near as they will be delighted to give you a bite. Watch two fighting and you may form another opinion.
I love squirrels, but would still love to see some red ones around. Goes to show what happens when you try to control nature
Here in California the Western Gray Squirrel is the native species and the Eastern Fox Squirrel (a red squirrel) is the invasive one that has been introduced. As far as in the UK..I have heard that the the reason the Red Squirrel is declining is NOT due to the Gray Squirrel...it is due to humans causing habitat destruction, and that the Gray Squirrel is more highly adaptable than the Red Squirrel. Just like people to blame other animals rather than ourselves for screwing up the ecosystem!
I watch them in the branches of the tree next to my window.They


make me laugh always messing about.Think i should start to eat more nuts.
cos theyre american invaders who have murdered the red natives





typical!
NEWS TO ME . SORRY.
I would like them if they were green or purple
Because the little furry guys insist on being grey when they should be gray.
The reason for the dislike of the imported grey squirrel is that they are responsible for the decline of our native red squirrel, because they emerge earlier from hibernation. There are few places left in this country where the smaller red squirrel still thrives. In Germany for instance, there are only red squirrels, but one would be hard pushed to get very close to the shy creatures. The grey is much tamer and more inquisitive to the point of agressiveness, but I guess they are here to stay, for they are more prolific breeders. Personally, I do not dislike them. I guess for some people it is a case of wanting to hang on to what's truly British.
Personally, I don't hate gray squirrels. Some people think of them as rodents, but I don't. I actually have never seen a red squirrel. To the people who say they will maul you, I want to say that cute or not they are still wild animals so just be careful. We used to feed them by hand at my mother's door near the pond.
Because they are big fat American bullies that have been elbowing out our cute little tufty eared squirrel Nutkins.
I don't hate them but they are ';invaders'; and classed as vermin.





I don't think of them as vermin and i like them more than pigeons which are definitely vermin!
Why would anyone hate them? I like to watch them bouncing around the yard, climbing trees, eating nuts, and one day drinking out of the swimming pool. (Not sure the last was a good idea, but it was amusing.)
i like to watch squirrels from my bedroom as i cant get out
Here in London the grey squirral is known by it's proper name of 'tree rat' and is frequently shot on site by my neighbours in their garden. Good for them.








Forestry Commission - Fascinating grey squirrel factsFascinating grey squirrel facts. Their scientific name is Sciurus carolinensis. They were introduced from USA /Canada to approximately 30 sites in England, ...


http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd鈥?/a>





A Squirrel Place Facts Section Gray squirrels come in many colors. Shades of gray are the most common ... The gray squirrel requires some salt in its diet, and may find this salt in the ...


http://www.squirrels.org/facts.html








The grey squirrel is a PEST. I have thirty Kent cob-nut bushes in my garden [hazel nuts to you]. A squirrel did considerable damage to my crop while I was away on holiday this year. My neighbour shot it dead.





The grey squirrel is just a damn nuisance, it steals the eggs of songbirds, it digs up people's lawns and eat the grass roots, it makes a filthy mess everywhere it goes.





Yes, surivival of the fittest means me. I have a gun and my intention is to kill every damn grey squirrel that comes on to my land and property.
Most Americans like all squirrels. You folks in England do have a problem. Try to get rid of as many of them as you can. But, remember this. The English introduced the pigeon and the startling to America.
Because they are nasty evil cretures who are racies and kill all the red ones. I would be carefull feeding them tho because if the turn on you they willgo for your face.
i love squirrels dude.





unfortunatley, so do my two cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment