Monday, January 4, 2010

Is it safe to eat a grey squirrel if I capture one from my garden?

If so any cooking ideas?Is it safe to eat a grey squirrel if I capture one from my garden?
Check that it looks healthy. Don't eat anything with mange. Since you don't know how old it is, it's probably best to stew it. Skin it, remove the guts, and use it like stewing steak.Is it safe to eat a grey squirrel if I capture one from my garden?
Cook them the same way you would koala bears, orang utans, dolphins or unborn kittens.
yeah apart from rabbies
Poor squirrel :( Don't eat him please.
Yeah go for it Squirrel stew with added nuts lovely
It is ok to eat squirrel, whether its a grey, black, brown or a white one. You do need to check for discolor in the meat, if found could mean tb or rabies. My husband brings them home and makes squirrel w/ saurkraut and roast squirrel w/ sausage stuffing. I take that over the woodchuck kabobs anyday.
???
I don't know about diseases or anything but I was surprised to see our local game dealer selling grey squirrel meat the other day! Must be safe I guess.





btw if you're in the UK, you can't possibly get a rabid squirrel as we don't have rabies in this country.
as long as it's dead first....


I would say it would be best to cook it like rabbit. Not a lot of neat on it, but you could roast it gently in the oven then add the meat to a stew.


( I can;t believe I'm thinking of ways to cook a squirrel...)
The Squirrel





Like a little gray coffee pot,


Sits the squirrel ,


He is not,


All he should be.


Kills by the dozens trees,


And eats his red-brown cousins.





The hunter,


On the other hand,


Who shot him,


Is a Christian and,


Loves his enemies,


Which shows,


The squirrel was not,


One of those.
yeah its safe to eat. try it on your next barbie. :-)
YUK!! PLEASE DON'T.
now i love my meat but i stop at squirrel
No thats cruel I hope they all gang up on you and eat you for dinner!!!!
i had to kill a squirrell because they were invading my loft





it wasnt pretty
Probably safe if it's not infected with rabies or something, but ewww!





I'll buy you a cheeseburger if you don't do it!
Squirrel Stew


Ingredients:


1 squirrel, quartered


1 cup diced onion


2 large tomatoes (from your garden) or 1 can of tomatoes


Assorted fresh ,or canned veggies


Preparation:


Sprinkle seasoned salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (optional) liberally on the meat. Pour some cooking oil into a large pot (dutch oven). Saut茅 the meat with the onions until well browned. Drain the excess oil, add about 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cut up the tomatoes and add. If you use canned tomatoes add them now. Turn down the heat, and let slow cook for at least an hour. Important: older squirrels may require cooking longer than an hour. Check periodically for tenderness. If you don't you will have a hard time chewing the meat. After the meat is tender, add the veggies, carrots, potatoes, banana pepper, what ever you like. Cook until the veggies are done. An option you can use is, cook up your favorite pasta and serve over the pasta. (eliminate the potatoes). That's it, nice and simple
ewww no please don't do that





go to tesco if you want some meat ;)
I wouldn't think so.
  • cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment